Sunday, February 23, 2014

DIY Stick Deodorant

Hey all! I wanted to do this post sooner, but one of the points of making your own products is to save money, and I wasn't out of my old deodorant yet. I refuse to let it go to waste even if it is a chemical-filled science experiment. Now that the old store bought stuff is gone I can make my own stuff to combat stinky pits. And guess what? It's stupid easy!

Step 1.
Here's what you need.


This recipe calls for only a few ingredients: baking soda, cornstarch, and an essential oil of your choice. They recommended tea tree oil, but I prefer lavender over that, which was also suggested. Using those three ingredients you can make a loose powder version to apply with your fingers, but if that sounds too messy to you (it does to me), add in coconut oil to make a more solid product. That's what I've done. I took my old deodorant container and cleaned it out with some warm water and an old toothbrush to really get in there. You can buy new empty containers on Amazon, but since this is just for my own use, I decided to reuse. You'll also need a 1/4 measuring cup, a tablespoon, and a bowl.

Step 2.
Try not to make a mess.


Mix 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/4 cup of cornstarch. Mix carefully - if you just dive in willy-nilly like I did all the powder will poof up and out and make a big mess! Next, add in your essential oil. I just winged it here, adding drops until the smell was to my preference.

Step 3.
Make it stick.


Yay! Coconut oil! I adore this stuff. Aside from baking soda, it's the most useful product I've come across. The recipe suggested starting with 2 TBSP and adding little by little until you get a consistency you like. I used about 3.5 TBSP until I got to where I thought it should be. It takes a bit more effort to blend this with the powders, but you can use your hands like I did. Just don't mush it with your fingers for too long or the coconut oil will melt and make things even more messy.

Step 4.
The Smush


I used a spoon. You can use your hands, someone else's hands, a robot hand - whatever you want. Just get it into the container and pack it in tight until it's completely full. I ended up having about a tablespoon leftover that wouldn't fit, but that's OK. You can store leftovers in a container and use it for your next batch. Or use an empty travel size deodorant container and keep it in your purse, car, or save for actual traveling.

Step 5.
Let it set.


The recipe says it takes a day or so for the deodorant to fully set. It also recommends using a much lighter application than regular deodorant. Apparently a little bit goes a long way! I'm excited to try this and will have to make an update in a week or so to let you all know how it's working.

Overall Impression:

Again, this was a stupid easy project. I love how simple it's been to create chemical-free products that cost way less than store-bought items. I can't wait to try this out and hopefully the lavender won't make me smell like an old lady or a hippie. I'll keep you posted!

Until next time!

XOXO,

N










No comments:

Post a Comment